The New York Videogame Critics Circle (NYVGCC) celebrated the best games, actors, esports athletes and journalists this week. The 12th annual New York Game Awards were held in, unsurprisingly, New York, and the beloved Moss: Book II took home the big award for AR/VR.
Outside of XR, Elden Ring was awarded this year’s Big Apple Award for Best Game of the Year and received the Statue of Liberty Award for Best World. Justin Heckert (Vanity Fair) received the Knickerbocker Award for Best Games Journalism, and Phil Spencer (CEO of Microsoft Gaming) was named as the 2023 Andrew Yoon Legend Award winner.
2023 New York Game Awards Winners:
- Big Apple Award for Best Game of the Year
- Off Broadway Award for Best Indie Game
- Herman Melville Award for Best Writing in a Game
God of War Ragnarök
- Statue of Liberty Award for Best World
- Tin Pan Alley Award for Best Music in a Game
- Great White Way Award for Best Acting in a Game
Manon Gage as Marissa Marcel in Immortality
- Coney Island Dreamland Award for Best AR/VR Game
Moss: Book II
- Central Park Children’s Zoo Award for Best Kids Game
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- A-Train Award for Best Mobile Game
- Freedom Tower Award for Best Remake
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
- Joltin’ Joe Award for Best Esports Player of the Year
Masaya “aMSa” Chikamoto (VGBootCamp/Red Bull Esports)
- Chumley’s Speakeasy Award for Best Hidden Gem
- NYC GWB Award for Best DLC
Destiny 2: The Witch Queen
- Knickerbocker Award for Best Games Journalism
Justin Heckert, Vanity Fair
- Elizabeth Jennings Graham Award for Best Educator
- Andrew Yoon Legend Award Recipient
Moss: Book II
For the uninitiated, Moss: Book II is a VR-exclusive title created by Polyarc. It’s the sequel to 2018’s critically acclaimed Moss. Moss: Book II sees players assisting Quill as she journeys through different areas and solves puzzles. Moss: Book II has recently been confirmed as a PlayStation VR 2 launch game.
Are you jumping into Moss on PlayStation VR 2? Let us know in the comments below!